Chapter 9: What Boundaries? Technology’s Role in Work and Family Balance
News Articles in Popular Press/Newspapers
- 8 Ways to set Boundaries between work and kids (Leah Cherinikoff, New York Times, April 9, 2020): https://nyti.ms/2UWEjo4
- The Guardian (10/2018): The loss art of concentration. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/14/the-lost-art-of-concentration-being-distracted-in-a-digital-world
- BBC Worklife (6/2022): The people who hate working from home: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20220616-the-people-who-hate-working-from-home
- Salon (2016) Plugged in and Stressed Out. Technology is Killing work life balance.
- Men’s Health (2015). 12 Signs you need to stop working so much.
- The Digitalist (2017): The Future of Work: How the Workplace is Changing in 2017
- Is the Coronavirus Shaping the Future of How We Do Work? (Miriam Pawel, New York Times, March 21, 2020): https://nyti.ms/2UmM3yt
- Remote work is failing Gen Z: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/22/opinion/remote-work-gen-z.html
- Center for Creative Leadership (2015). Always On, Never Done: https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-news/Documents/AlwaysOn.pdf
Research and Theory articles Related to Work-family Balance and the Role of Technology
- Nam (2014). Technology Use and Work-Life Balance. Applied Research Quality Life (2014) 9:1017–1040 DOI 10.1007/s11482-013-9283-1
- Clark, S. C. (2000). Work/family border theory: A new theory of work/family balance. Human relations, 53(6), 747-770.
- Carvalho, V. S., Santos, A., Ribeiro, M. T., & Chambel, M. J. (2021). Please, do not interrupt me: work–family balance and segmentation behavior as mediators of boundary violations and teleworkers’ burnout and flourishing. Sustainability, 13(13), 7339.
Ferguson, M., Carlson, D., Boswell, W., Whitten, D., Butts, M. M., & Kacmar, K. M. (M.). (2016). Tethered to work: A family systems approach linking mobile device use to turnover intentions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101(4), 520–534. https://doi.org/10.1037/apl0000075
- Uddin, M. (2021). Addressing work‐life balance challenges of working women during COVID‐19 in Bangladesh. International Social Science Journal, 71(239-240), 7-20.
- Wilkinson, S. (2022). Smart-Device Use in a COVID-19 World: Exploring Work-Family Conflict, Turnover Intentions & Wellbeing (Doctoral dissertation, Auckland University of Technology).