Chapter 3: Differences Within and Across Familes’ Technology Use
Ongoing Research on Demographic Trends in Technology and the Internet (often inclusive of children and families and family issues):
- Pew Research: https://www.pewresearch.org/topic/internet-technology/
Ongoing Research on Demographic Trends in Families
- Child Trends: https://www.childtrends.org/research-topic/families-and-parenting
- See additional research topic areas including poverty and inequality,
- Kids Count: https://datacenter.kidscount.org
- U.S. and state-, county-, and city-specific data on children and families across multiple dimensions.
Digital Divide and Internet Access
- Shapiro, E., 9/21/2020. These families feel forgotten as NYC opens schools (homeless families). The New York Times: https://nyti.ms/3bVZn51.
- Bowles, N., 10/26/2018. The digital gap between rich and poor kids is not what we expected. The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html
- Blandin on Broadband (Minnesota foundation on broadband access): https://blandinonbroadband.org/2021mnbroadband/
- See 2021 Minnesota Broadband County Profiles — from Aitkin to Yellow Medicine.
- Kids Count data on household technology access 2019–2020 (with state-specific data available): https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/11144-households-in-which-internet-and-a-computer-to-digital-device-are-usually-or-always-available-to-children-for-educational-purposes
Technology and Families During Migration:
- Brief report for the United Nations Expert Group Meeting: Walker, S. (2022). https://www.un.org/development/desa/family/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2022/08/Susan-Walker-Digital-Technologies-Interlinkages-with-Megatrends-and-Regional-Perspectives.pdf
- Additional papers and presentations on families, migration, urbanization, and digital technologies: https://www.un.org/development/desa/dspd/2022egms/migration-urbanization.html
- McAuliffe, M. (Ed.) (2021). Research handbook on international migration and digital technology. UK: Edward Elgar. https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/gbp/research-handbook-on-international-migration-and-digital-technology-9781839100604.html