Chapter 1: Ten Truths about Technology
Staying Up to Date
- Pew Research: https://www.pewresearch.org/topic/internet-technology/
- The chapter presents data from the Pew Research Center on internet, social media, and technology use in general. The link goes to the topic on Pew’s site. Through this link, and their search function, you can find myriad reports related to the demographics of ICT.
- Top 20 Technology Magazines and Publications: https://blog.feedspot.com/technology_magazines/
- This is a curated list of publications for up-to-date information about devices, applications, hardware and software, technology trends, and perspectives on use.
- The 50 Best Technology Blogs: https://detailed.com/tech-blogs/
- Ranked algorithmically by mentions. A great complement to the publication list above (some entries appearing on both lists). More current writing on technology and the internet in our lives. Personal favorite: Mashable.
- Quiz yourself Technology Awareness (self-quiz): http://technologyawareness.org/take-the-quiz/
- Cybersecurity quiz (Federal Trade Commission) : https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/small-businesses/cybersecurity/quiz/basics
- Information Technology and the US Workforce: Where do we go from here? (2017 report by the National Academies of Science)
- US Census (2021). Computer and internet use in U.S. households, 2018.
Principles and Ethics
- Hira, T.K. (1996). Ethics: Personal and professional implications. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 88(1), 6–9.