Chapter 4: Technology Use and Couple Relationships
Relationships in the Digital Age
- Section III: Couples in a Digital Age (6 chapters). In C. Breuss, Ed. (2015). Family communication in the age of digital and social media. Peter Lang.
- Eichenberg, C., Huss, J. & Küsel, C. (2017). From online dating to online divorce: An overview of couple and family relationships shaped through digital media. Contemporary Family Therapy 39, 249–260. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10591-017-9434-x
- Gottman, J. (2015) The seven principles for making marriage work. Random House.
- Hertlein, K. M., & Blumer, M. L. (2013). The couple and family technology framework: Intimate relationships in a digital age. Routledge.
- LeFebvre, L. E., & Fan, X. (2020). Ghosted?: Navigating strategies for reducing uncertainty and implications surrounding ambiguous loss. Personal Relationships, 27(2), 433–459.
- Mendenhall, T., Plowman, E., & Trump, L. (2016). Intimate relationships: Where have we been? Where are we going? (2nd Edition). Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- Full issue: Perlman, D., Sprecher, S., & Drouin, M. (2021). Introduction to the special issue on communication technologies and relationships. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 38, 3417–3428.
- Rosenfeld, M. J. (2017). Marriage, choice, and couplehood in the age of the internet. Sociological Science, 4, 490–510.
- Part II: Dating and mating in the internet age. (Chapters 4–6). In VanHook, J., McHale, S., & King, V. (2018). Families and technology. Springer International Publishing.
- Perspectives for critical thinking
- The New York Times. (2015, March 5). Digital Friendships. The Opinion Pages Room for Debate. Retrieved August 22, 2022, from https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/03/05/real-relationships-in-a-digital-world
- HISD. (n.d.). Cyber Safety / Digital relationships. Digital Relationships. Retrieved August 22, 2022, from https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/111620
- Seunagal, G. (2022, June 16). The Pros and cons of technology and relationships. Regain. Retrieved August 22, 2022, from https://www.regain.us/advice/general/the-pros-and-cons-of-technology-and-relationships/
- Banerjee, D., & Rao, T. S. (2021). “# Intimacy” at times of COVID-19: The renewed impetus behind cybersex. Journal of Psychosexual Health, 3(1), 13-17.
- Devlin, K. (2018). Turned on: science, sex and robots. Bloomsbury Publishing
- Julian, K. (2019, May 17). Why are young people having so little sex? The Atlantic. Retrieved August 22, 2022, from https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/12/the-sex-recession/573949/
- Labor, J. S., & Latosa, A. C. (2021). Locked down queer love: Intimate queer online relationships during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Gender Studies, 31(6), 770–781. https://doi.org/10.1080/09589236.2021.1979482
- Vossler, Andreas (2016). Internet infidelity 10 years on: A critical review of the literature. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 24(4), 359–366.
- Pinola, M. (2019) Get your digital accounts ready in case of death (couple considerations) https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/smarter-living/wirecutter/get-your-digital-accounts-ready-in-case-of-death.html?smid=em-share
- Roddy, M., Georgia, E., & Doss, B. (2018). Couples with intimate partner violence seeking relationship help: Associations and implications for self-help and online interventions. Family Process, 57(2), 293–307.
- Woodlock, D. (2017). The abuse of technology in domestic violence and stalking. Violence Against Women, 23(5), 584–602.
- Cybersex (VeryWell Health): https://www.verywellhealth.com/cybersex-pros-cons-4800752
From Love is Respect.org*
- Safety online. love is respect. (2021, August 9). Retrieved from https://www.loveisrespect.org/personal-safety/online-safety-while-dating/
- Internet & email safety. love is respect. (2022, May 2). Retrieved from https://www.loveisrespect.org/resources/internet-email-safety/
- Cell phone safety. love is respect. (2021, August 27). Retrieved from https://www.loveisrespect.org/resources/cell-phone-safety/
- Social Media Safety. love is respect. (2020, September 23). Retrieved from https://www.loveisrespect.org/resources/social-media-safety/
- *According to their website, Loveisrespect is “the national resource to disrupt and prevent unhealthy relationships and intimate partner violence by empowering young people through inclusive and equitable education, support and resources.”
Online Dating/Dating Apps
- Rudder, C. (2014). Dataclysm: Love, sex, race, and identity−What our online lives tell us about our offline selves. New York: Broadway Books.
- Roman, L., Brown, A., & Edes, A. (2018, January 2). What makes us click: How online dating shapes our relationships. NPR. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2018/01/02/572259115/what-makes-us-click-how-online-dating-shapes-our-relationships
- Finkel, E. J. (2015, February 6). In Defense of Tinder. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/opinion/sunday/in-defense-of-tinder.html
- New York Times The Weekly vlogcast: Facebook love scams: who’s really behind that friend request? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/26/the-weekly/facebook-love-scams-whos-really-behind-that-friend-request.html
- Cyberbullying Resource Center: Digital Dating Abuse: A guide for parents and educators: https://cyberbullying.org/digital-dating-abuse-2
Special populations & dating apps
Older adults and dating apps
- Stassi, L. (2022, July 12). Hashtag love. Dating While Gray. Retrieved from https://www.wunc.org/podcast/dating-while-gray/2022-03-10/hashtag-love
Adults in the military and dating apps
- Marie, E. (2018, November 3). Single AF 101: The people talk #militarydating on Apple Podcasts. Apple Podcasts. Retrieved August 22, 2022, from https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-people-talk-militarydating/id1407515341?i=1000423158069