Chapter 10: Technology Use in Family Health and Money Management
- Social media safety: Changing app settings on Facebook
- Commonsense Media
- Cybersecurity quiz: http://www.pewinternet.org/quiz/cybersecurity-knowledge/
- Cybercrime quiz: https://www.cybervie.com/blog/quick-cybersecurity-quiz-how-much-you-really-know/
- Computer Safety and Support (techlicious) https://www.techlicious.com/safety-support/
- John Oliver (HBO) on data brokers (April 2022): https://youtu.be/wqn3gR1WTcA [VIDEO]
Personal and Family Health
- Wearable Technology: Shaping the Future of Your Health Care
- Pregnancy Apps: The New Way to Approach Your Pregnancy
- Harrar (2020): Your Everyday Guide to Telemedicine
Offering and finding health support online (examples):
- Lisa Bonchek Adams’ blog: http://lisabadams.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- Note: Lisa maintained a blog about her cancer diagnosis and family experiences until she passed away in 2015. This is an example of one mother’s use of the Internet and social media as a way to express her personal experiences, inform others, and gain support.
- Video: The Clairity Project, by a young woman who posted videos on YouTube to raise awareness about living with cystic fibrosis. Claire developed a large following and became a strong advocate. She passed away in 2018.
Evaluating health information
- Factcheck.org (from the Annenburg Public Policy Center): background science
Personal and Family Financial Well-being
- Household expenses (to estimate portion of technology costs): https://wellkeptwallet.com/common-monthly-household-expenses/
- Garman, E.T., & Forgue, R.E. (2015). Personal Finance, (12th Ed.). United States: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Solheim, C. A. (2008). Resource management from multicultural perspectives. In Report: Family Focus On …Resource Management, Issue FF38. Minneapolis: National Council on Family Relations.
Mobile Finance Apps
- Apps to manage finances
- Helpful Links for Money Management
- Budgeting apps
- PC Magazine – Best mobile finance apps: Link
- Money Apps (review by Torey Spangler)
Applications for Children to Learn about Money
- ChoreMonster app: Chore Monster App: A Parent Review [VIDEO]