Capítulo 2: Marketing

2.7.2 Gramática-cláusulas subordinadas

Usually, but not always, the subjunctive occurs in a subordinate or dependent clause.  What is a subordinate clause? It’s a clause that needs another clause, called a main clause, in order to make sense.  There are two verbs with two different subjects. Let’s look at an example in English.

I want you to make the eggs tomorrow morning.

“I want” is the main clause and “you to make the eggs tomorrow morning” is the subordinate clause.  Without another verb, “you to make the eggs tomorrow morning” is not good English and doesn’t communicate meaning.  I could sub “I want” for “Jenny forbids” and either sentence makes sense. In contrast, “I want” or “Jenny forbids” are missing information, but they communicate more than the other part of the sentence.  I can ask “Jenny forbids what?” and get the rest of my information. There is no short way to get the missing information that makes “you to make the eggs” make sense. Also, in all these versions of sentences, there are two verbs with two subjects.

License

Icon for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Ingresos Copyright © 2023 by Michael Arnold and Anne Hoffman-González is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.