Memoir Program: Under 9

This program uses simple prompts to spark a thought that can grow into a longer piece of writing. All the Way to America is a family story prompt. We ask the writers, “What is passed down in your family?” With Bubba and Beau, “Did you have a comfort object when you were younger? What was it? Do you still have it?” With What Animals Really Like, we ask “What do people think you like? What do you really like best?”

Preparation

Step 1: Gather mentor texts, such as the What Animals Really Like Best by Fiona Robinson, All the Way to America by Dan Yaccarino, Bubba and Beau: Best Friends, by Kathy Appelt.

Step 2: Choose one picture book to read aloud.

Step 3: Create an example. I might, for instance, describe the little pillow that I had my whole life and brought with me to college and on my honeymoon. Reproduce your example to give to attendees.

Step 4: Check Writing Box supplies.

The Workshop

Step 1: Display the mentor texts and define memoir.

Step 2: Read Bubba and Beau aloud.

Step 3: Ask attendees if they had any comfort objects to write about.

Step 4: Read your example aloud and draw a quick sketch of it.

Step 5: Give the children markers, crayons, and paper. Help with words or offer suggestions when writers seem stuck for ideas.

Step 6: Give a five-minute warning for cleanup. Remind the children when the Writing Boxes are available to use in the library. Clean up the area and put away supplies.

Step 7: Take a few minutes to share the work

License

Icon for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Writing Boxes Copyright © 2019 by Lisa Von Drasek is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

Share This Book