Memoir Program

Preparation

Step 1: Gather mentor texts, such as the Ordinary Hazards: a memoir by Nikki Grimes, Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka by Jon Scieszka, El Deafo by Cece Bell, Real Friends by Shannon Hale, illustrated by LeUyen Pham, Smile by Raina Telgemeier, Bowman’s Store by Joseph Bruchac, Moon and I by Betsy Byars, Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Stitches: A Memoir by David Small.

Step 2: Choose a piece of memoir to read aloud. Using the “I will always remember” brainstorming questions find a memory to write about. Using the cartoon frame template tell one short memory using stick figures to illustrate.

Step 3: Reproduce your example to give to attendees.

Step 4: Check Writing Box supplies.

The Workshop

Step 1: Display the mentor texts and define memoir.

Step 2: Read selected memoir text aloud.

Step 3: Show attendees your own memoir cartoon and describe how you made it.

Step 4: On chart paper or whiteboard, ask the attendees to answer the “I remember” prompt or the “when I was little prompt” Sketch the fragment with stick figures.

Step 5: Give the children markers, crayons, and paper. Help with words or offer suggestions when writers seem stuck for ideas.

Step 6: Give a five-minute warning for cleanup. Remind the children when the Writing Boxes are available to use in the library. Clean up the area and put away supplies.

Step 7: Take a few minutes to share the work.

Icon for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Writing Boxes Copyright © 2019 by Lisa Von Drasek is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

Share This Book